|Module Code & Title: Philosophy of Management (MGT3033M)
|Description of Assessment Task and Purpose:
Your task is to write a 2000 word essay (+/-10%). Essay Question:
Drawing on 3 key concepts discussed in the modules reading, critically discuss the value of philosophy for making sense of managerial practices
– Examine at least one example of contemporary organizational practice
– Reflect on the impact of the module on your own professional development
Key concepts may include:
modernism, postmodernism, panopticon, docility,
|Learning Outcomes Assessed:
LO1 Conceptualize management as a complex phenomenon, involving social, cultural and political dimensions as well as conditioned upon tacit philosophical assumptions.
LO2 Apply post-structural (and post-modern) theory in order to critically analyze management situations.
LO3 Take a position within debates around the value/legitimacy of post-structural (and post-modern) theory in management theory and practice.
|Knowledge & Skills Assessed:
Subject Specific Knowledge, Skills and Understanding
– Understand different philosophies of work.
– Understand organizational values and their impact.
Professional Graduate Skills
– Able to identify barriers and overcome them.
– Able to consider the implications of decisions.
– Able to challenge and give constructive feedback.
– Able to undertake critical analysis.
– Able to use influencing skills.
Able to work collaboratively both inside and outside the organisation