International Higher Education (EDU524)
Structure of Your Policy Paper
Prepare a policy paper of around 4000+ words to examine an aspect of policy (subject chosen in negotiation with the module coordinator). This work will constitute 60% of the final grade.
Your policy paper can be based on, but not restricted to, one of the following:
All should be underpinned by relevant reading on theoretical and political analyses of policy, and, where possible, by appropriate observation (schools, institutions, ministries). It should be based on a defined context; not general analysis of theories and approaches of policy (in a vacuum).
Note that it is essential to understand what the task is and what the accompanying requirements are. The length or word count of the paper can be 10% above or below the recommended word count.
Note also that your paper can be structured according to your personal preference provided the key elements such as the introduction, overview of the context, identification and analysis of the policy and conclusion are amply covered and coherently presented.
Where can I find a policy document or relevant materials?
You can find a policy document or a research report/article on policy development, implementation, evaluation from a variety of sources:
– University/Institutional Documents: Range of policy documents are often available online, particularly Internationalisation Strategy Reports.
– Review reports and analysis on current trends and activity in international higher education.
– Education policy documents from the Ministry of Education or its departments, District Education office or any relevant body in the education sector (may be obtained from their websites). Relevant to countries around the world
– The University library/other libraries: University library has a wide range of academic and professional journals which may have reports of examples of educational policy implementation and evaluation which you can access online. See website below:
– Other libraries: If you have access to other libraries near you, you may be able to find journal articles or research reports for the activity.
– The Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ): This website holds a wide range of professional and academic journals that can be accessed free online. It is possible for you to find research articles that are relevant to your specialty or area of interest. http://www.doaj.org/
Date for Submission: December 2018
How should I structure my scholarly paper?
Note that the scholarly paper can be approached differently once the key components are amply covered; however, the following is a suggested structure that can help you to work through your paper:
The section should also show clear evidence that you strongly understand the current knowledge and debates relevant to concepts and approaches in International Higher Education policy development. You need to show informed understanding of the perspectives/approaches used in your chosen policy/approach and show how these are linked to the debate. You may develop a set of key questions to guide the coverage of this section, for example: What are the key components of the approach? What are the conceptual underpinning? Which approach or theory is used? Is this approach appropriate? What alternative approaches could be used and why? Etc.