The world of litigation is made even more complicated when the party being sued becomes the party suing others. As a paralegal, you will need to be able to navigate the rules for counterclaims, cross-claims, and third-party claims. For this assignment, you will research the state and federal rules for counterclaims.
1. Review this unit’s required readings.
2. Research your home state’s (Virginia) rules for counterclaims.
3. Research the same federal rules.
4. Describe your findings in a new Microsoft Word document:
• What are the rules for counterclaims in your home state?
• What are the federal rules for counterclaims?
• Compare the rules. How are they the same? How are they different?
• Why is it important to know the differences between the federal and state rules?
• Why is it important for you, as a paralegal, to be able to find these rules?
• How will you use these rules if you file a counterclaim?
5. Your document containing the answers must be one to two pages long, double-spaced, set in 12-point type, and framed with one-inch margins.
• Include your name at the top of the first page.
• Proofread your paper to eliminate mechanical and grammatical errors.