The purpose of this assignment is to assess your skills in assessment and treatment planning. Completing this assignment will demonstrate your skills in assessment and treatment planning.
Setting and client introduction
1) Briefly introduce your setting and your client. Clearly articulate and critique the assessment process at your agency/internship. The relative usefulness (or lack thereof) of assessment information gathered in the assessment is evaluated. What information was emphasized/de-emphasized or omitted in the assessment process? Extent information gathered is relevant to your work. Be specific.
Evaluation of assessment
2) Evaluation of assessment and treatment planning materials from readings and class discussion (minimum of 3 sources cited). To what extent would these materials be useful in your work with this client? (i.e. PIE, stages of change, risk assessment, collateral information, etc) Why or why not? Give specific examples.
Treatment planning process
3) Describe the treatment planning process and how it went. How engaged was your client in the process? What challenges did you face in your efforts to arrive at a treatment plan or did you anticipate in your work with this client? To what extent are your goals specific and measurable?
4) What diagnosis was given to this client and what information is it based on? If no diagnosis was given, what would your tentative diagnosis be and what would you base this on?
This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Bio-social factors
5) Discuss the bio-social factors that impact the assessment and treatment planning (i.e., age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, culture, race and class background). Are there any factors that would identify this client as a member of a population at risk? If so, what and how would this effect your assessment and treatment planning?
This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Ethical dilemmas
6) Discuss any issues related to ethical dilemmas you have encountered during the assessment if applicable or potential ethical dilemmas that may arise if there weren’t any.
7) Discuss the agency context (e.g. philosophy and function of the agency, influence of funding sources, community setting) in terms of its impact on your treatment plan. What is gained and what is lost for your client because of the context? How does your agency make use of or not make use of referrals? How open are they?
This criterion is linked to a Learning Outcome Formal conclusion